We wait eagerly for summer and sometimes it arrives with more than what we were hoping for. Many parts of the world are having a scorching summer. Should you need to escape it for a while, here is a way out. Several cities in North America are known for their cooler temperatures during the summer months. These cities offer a refreshing escape from the heat and provide opportunities for outdoor activities without sweltering temperatures. Here are some cities with cool summers:
- San Francisco, California, USA: San Francisco is famous for its cool and foggy summers due to its proximity to the Pacific Ocean. Average summer temperatures usually range from the mid-60s to mid-70s Fahrenheit (18-24°C).
- Seattle, Washington, USA: Seattle experiences mild and pleasant summers with temperatures ranging from the mid-60s to low 70s Fahrenheit (18-23°C). It’s known for its lush greenery and beautiful waterfront.
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada: Located on the Pacific Coast, Vancouver enjoys cooler summers with temperatures in the mid to high 60s Fahrenheit (18-22°C). The city offers a mix of urban experiences and outdoor adventures.
- Portland, Oregon, USA: Portland’s summer temperatures typically range from the high 60s to low 80s Fahrenheit (20-27°C), providing a comfortable climate for exploring the city’s parks, gardens, and food scene.
- Denver, Colorado, USA: Although Denver can get warm during the day, its high elevation brings cooler nights. Average summer temperatures range from the mid-80s to low 90s Fahrenheit (29-34°C), but the evenings can be refreshing.
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada: Calgary’s location in the Canadian Rockies means milder summers with temperatures in the mid to high 70s Fahrenheit (24-26°C), making it a great base for outdoor activities.
- Salt Lake City, Utah, USA: Salt Lake City experiences warm days but cooler nights due to its high elevation. Average summer temperatures range from the high 80s to low 90s Fahrenheit (30-35°C) during the day and drop to the 60s Fahrenheit (15-20°C) at night.
- Anchorage, Alaska, USA: Anchorage has pleasant summer temperatures, with daytime highs usually in the 60s and 70s Fahrenheit (15-25°C), making it an attractive destination for those seeking a cooler summer climate.
Europe offers a variety of cities with cool temperatures during the summer months, especially in northern regions and at higher elevations. These cities provide a welcome escape from the summer heat and offer plenty of opportunities to explore scenic landscapes and cultural attractions. Here are some cities in Europe known for their cooler summers:
- Reykjavik, Iceland: Iceland’s capital city has a subarctic climate, resulting in mild summers with average temperatures ranging from 50°F to 60°F (10°C to 15°C). Reykjavik’s proximity to natural wonders like geysers, waterfalls, and glaciers makes it an excellent destination for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Edinburgh, Scotland: Edinburgh experiences mild summers with average temperatures around 60°F (15°C). The city’s historic charm, festivals, and stunning architecture make it a popular tourist destination.
- Bergen, Norway: Bergen, located on Norway’s southwestern coast, enjoys a maritime climate with cool summers. Average temperatures during the summer range from 55°F to 65°F (13°C to 18°C). Bergen is surrounded by beautiful fjords and mountains, making it an attractive destination for nature lovers.
- Dublin, Ireland: Dublin’s coastal location moderates its climate, resulting in mild summers with temperatures typically ranging from 60°F to 68°F (15°C to 20°C). Visitors can explore the city’s rich history, vibrant culture, and numerous pubs.
- Stockholm, Sweden: Stockholm experiences relatively cool summers with average temperatures around 65°F (18°C). This beautiful city built on islands offers a mix of history, modernity, and scenic landscapes.
- Copenhagen, Denmark: Copenhagen’s summers are comfortable with average temperatures ranging from 63°F to 71°F (17°C to 22°C). The city is known for its bicycle-friendly streets, historic landmarks, and innovative design.
- Zurich, Switzerland: Zurich’s elevation and proximity to the Alps result in pleasant summers with average temperatures between 63°F to 75°F (17°C to 24°C). The city offers a blend of cultural experiences, picturesque landscapes, and delicious cuisine.
- Helsinki, Finland: Helsinki experiences mild summers with temperatures ranging from 60°F to 70°F (15°C to 21°C). The Finnish capital offers a mix of modern architecture, green spaces, and a vibrant cultural scene.
- Tromsø, Norway: Located in northern Norway, Tromsø enjoys cool summers with average temperatures around 50°F (10°C). This makes it an excellent place to experience the midnight sun during the summer months.
- Tallinn, Estonia: Tallinn’s coastal location provides a cooler summer climate, with average temperatures ranging from 60°F to 70°F (15°C to 21°C). The city’s well-preserved medieval old town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
So get your heatwave escape planned by booking an adventure to one of these amazing cities.